Aninat Schwencke & Cia is best known for having a structured an skilful team who accepted the challenge to form a modern, deeply committed and highly experienced Energy and Natural Resources practice area. In this regard, it is best known for being able to legally advise clients and their project developments in a fast and effective manner in complex transactions and agreements due to its in-depth, current knowledge and vast experience.
The members of our Energy and Natural Resources practice area have not only participated but have structured and legally engineered sophisticated agreements, which have allowed projects to develop and obtain finance with commercial mechanisms being implemented for the first time in the country.
Our practice area is also known for having sharp lawyers, which due to their knowledge in regulatory issues as well as practical experience in developments and finance allow our clients a multiplicity of alternatives. Basically our lawyers in this practice area are best known for thinking out-of-the-box, managing the legal, commercial, technical and financial aspects of negotiations for energy projects, specially renewable energy, which some have considered as the beginning of a whole new game. As a result of the above, our team members are considered as inside players of the energy / project development industry, with solid contacts and know-how as regards to both, private (banks, financing, transactions, contracts) and public sector (concessions, environmental permits and regional public services).
Clients have mentioned that Head Department, partner Nicolás Atkinson analyses risks very well and manages matters quickly and assertively agreeing that he has the most in-depth knowledge of power purchase agreements of anyone in the country.
- Advised Sociedad Industrial Pizarreño S.A. on the analysis and implementation of energy efficiency measures, including the bidding, negotiation and subscription of a power supply contract (PPA).
- Advised Codelco on the negotiation of the PPAs for its main copper divisions, and recently in a PPA with a relevant generator of renewable energy for an 18MW supply.
- Advised Pattern Energy on the design and negotiation of a hedge agreement that allowed the financing of the project for the largest wind farm in Chile in the future (115MW), and recently for the longest solar photovoltaic project with the PPA executed.
- Advised Acciona Energía Holdings on the development of all its photovoltaic solar projects. Especially in the negotiation of a PPA with Google.
- Advised CDEC-SING and the Ministry of Energy on regulatory matters.
- Advised Genera Austral on the development, construction and commercial structure for biomass and biogas projects.
- Advised Inder (Del Rio-Goudie family investment fund) on the purchase of a pipeline for a hydroelectric project equivalent to 20 MW, and its subsequent development.
- Advised Bio Energy Molina on the development of a biogas plant, including PPA and thermal energy supply contract that will allow a relevant vineyard in Chile to be the first in the world to transform all its waste into energy.
- Advised Los Andes Investment Fund and Hidroeléctrica Mediterráneo on the early stages of development and sale of a hydroelectric plant in Río Manso, Tenth Region, with an approximate capacity of 200-300 MW.
- Advised Hidroeléctrica Laja on the development and sale of a pass-through hydroelectric plant with a capacity of 30-40 MW. Our firm also advised Econergy in a Joint Venture agreement with A. Matthei to develop this project.
- Advised Solar Chile on the development of non-conventional renewable energy projects in Chile and in the sale of electricity, a project also involving First Solar and Fundación Chile.
- Advised Baquedano Investment Fund on the early development of the Cholguán Plant, a 20 MW run-of-river hydroelectric project.
- Advised IM Trust Energías Renovables Private Investment Fund on the negotiation of a joint venture agreement between IM Trust and Hunt for the purchase of the Cholguán Plant and the future development of the renewable energy project.
- Advised Solventus Chile SpA on developing develop non-conventional renewable energy projects.
- Advised Fundación Chile regarding the legal feasibility of a project to acquire water rights in the central zone of Chile, the construction of an aqueduct to the north and the commercialization of water, mainly for mining projects.
- Advised Aaktei on the development of several projects of mini hydroelectric power plants. Our firm is advising on the negotiation of water rights, rights of way, EPC agreements, PPAs, financing agreements and other related contracts.
- Advised Global Energy on the acquisition of a biomass project in southern Chile that will generate 30 MW using straw as fuel.
- Advised Newen, involved in the Newen Project, on writing a conceptual design agreement for the construction, development and operation of the first straw-burning power plant in Chile.