Energy, Oil & Gas, Natural Resources, Environmental Law, Administrative Law, Construction, Project Finance.
“Nicolás Atkinson transmits confidence and is able to understand a company’s requirements”. “He is very agile, with a great knowledge of energy matters and a preoccupation with the small print in contracts”. Chambers Global 2017.
A lawyer from Universidad Católica de Chile, partner Nicolás Atkinson directs the Energy area of the firm, being an expert in the development of energy projects, including engineering, construction, interconnection, supply and transportation of energy, as well as being a specialist in the regulations of the electricity market, particularly non-conventional renewable energies.
Mr. Atkinson has participated in the development of various renewable energy projects, especially wind, solar and biomass, including all aspects necessary for financing. On the other hand, he has worked with clients in discrepancies before the Panel of Experts and has provided legal advice to CDEC-SING and the Ministry of Energy. Mr. Atkinson co-led the team that negotiated the long-term power supply contracts of several end clients, including those of Chile’s leading mining company, and led the team that designed the commercial contracts that allowed the financing of the largest wind farm in Chile (115 MW) and a photovoltaic solar park in development that will be the largest installed power plant in Chile (104 MW), which has a signed electricity supply contract.
- Advised to Red Eléctrica Chile SpA, Chilean subsidiary of Red Eléctrica Internacional S.A.U., in the acquisition from Minera Centinela (a subsidiary of Antofagasta Minerals) of Centinela Transmisión S.A.
- Advised Codelco in the negotiation of the PPAs for its major copper divisions, and
recently in a PPA with a relevant renewable energy generator for a 18 MW supply.
- Advised Pattern Energy in the design and negotiation of a hedge agreement
which allowed project finance for Chile’s future largest wind farm (115
MW), and recently for the longest solar PV project with ejecuted PPA.
- Advised Acciona Energía Holdings Chile in the development of all their solar PV
projects, specially in the negotiation of Power Purchase Agreements with the Chilean branch of Google. PPA was executed on October 2015.
- Advised Acciona Energía in commercial matters, technical issues such as
interconnection, the construction of substations, and defended their interests in
litigation before the Experts Panel of the Energy Law.
- Advised CDEC-SIC, CDEC-SING and the Ministry of Energy in regulatory issues.
Advised Genera Austral, in the development, construction and commercial
structure for biomass and bio gas projects.
- Advised Inder SpA in the purchase of a pipeline of hydroelectric project equivalent
to 20 MW and development thereafter.
- Advised Bio Energía Molina in the development of a biogas plant using vine waste
which included a PPA and thermal Energy sale agreement which allowed a major
vineyard in Chile to become the first one in the world to turn all its waste into energy.
- Advised Fondo de Inversión Los Andes and Hidroeléctrica Mediterráneo in the
early stages of development and the sale of a hydroelectric plant
in Río Manso, Tenth Region, with a capacity of approximately 200-300 MW.
- Advised Hidroeléctrica Laja in the development and sale of a run of the river
hydroelectric power plant with a capacity of 30-40 MW. Our firm also advised Econergy in a joint venture agreement with A. Matthei to develop this project.
- Advised Solar Chile in the development of non-conventional renewable energy
projects in Chile and in the sale of electric energy, a project in which First Solar and
Fundación Chile are also involved.
- Advised Fondo de Inversión Baquedano in the early stages development of Central
Cholguán, a 20 MW run of the river hydroelectric power project.
- Advised IM Trust Energías Renovables Fondo de Inversión Privado in the negotiation
of a joint venture agreement between IM Trust and Hunt for the acquisition of Central Cholguán and future renewable energy project development.
- Advised Solventus Chile SpA to develop non-conventional renewable energy
- Advised Fundación Chile in connection with the legal feasibility of a project
consistent in the acquisition of water rights in central Chile, the construction of
a water pipeline to the north and the commercialization of the water mainly for
- Advised Aaktei in the development of several mini-hydropower projects: our firm
is advising in the negotiation of water rights, rights of way, EPCs agreements, PPAs,
financing agreements and other related agreements.
- Advised Global Energy in the acquisition of a biomass project in the south of
Chile that will generate 30 MW using straw as fuel.
- Advised Newen, involved in the Newen Project, drafting a conceptual design
agreement for the construction, development and operation of the first strawfired
power plant in Chile.
Nicolás Atkinson has been Professor of Law at the Facultad de Economía y Negocios of Universidad de Chile and panelist, among others, of the Chilean International Renewable Energy Congress.
- Global Legal Insights, Energy Chapter 2014, 2015.
- Various publications and columns in newspapers and magazines.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Diploma in Administrative Economic Law, 2009.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile Law School, Cum Laude, 2004.
- Colegio de Abogados de Chile, AG.
- Partner Nicolás Atkinson has been distinguished by important international publications as a leading lawyer in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources (Chambers Latin America, Chambers Global, Latin Lawyer, IFLR Energy and Infraestructure, Legal 500).
- Recommended Lawyer by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA).
Spanish and English.