Energy, Oil & Gas, Natural Resources, Environmental Law, Administrative Law, Construction, Project Finance.
“Nicolás Atkinson transmits confidence and is able to understand a company’s requirements”. “He is very agile, with a great knowledge of energy matters and a preoccupation with the small print in contracts”. Chambers Global 2017.
Partner Nicolás Atkinson is the leading member of the Energy and Natural Resources Group.
He is an experienced energy and project development lawyer. Mr. Atkinson contributed to the development of the energy department at Carey, joining Aninat Schwencke in 2012. He practices in the areas of energy projects, including engineering, construction, energy supply, transmission and transport contracts as well as the electric and gas industry in force regulation. He has participated in the development of several renewable energy projects, including its financing.
Mr. Atkinson has also worked in the development and implementation of juridical strategies for several agents in the electric industry; in the negotiation and extension of electrical supply contracts; construction contracts for generation and transmission facilities. He has also participated in the financing and project finance of several generation projects.
Nicolás Atkinson interacted with the Expert Panel and CDECs either for both the central south and north electricity systems.
Mr. Atkinson co-lead the team that negotiated Codelco’s long term supply of energy for its various projects along the country and led the team that designed financial and power purchase agreements for a 115 MW wind energy project and a 104 MW Solar PV Project.
- Advised Codelco in the negotiation of the PPAs for its major copper divisions, and
recently in a PPA with a relevant renewable energy generator for a 18 MW supply.
- Advised Pattern Energy in the design and negotiation of a hedge agreement
which allowed project finance for Chile’s future largest wind farm (115
MW), and recently for the longest solar PV project with ejecuted PPA.
- Advised Acciona Energía Holdings Chile in the development of all their solar PV
projects, specially in the negotiation of Power Purchase Agreements with the Chilean branch of Google. PPA was executed on October 2015.
- Advised Acciona Energía in commercial matters, technical issues such as
interconnection, the construction of substations, and defended their interests in
litigation before the Experts Panel of the Energy Law.
- Advised CDEC-SIC, CDEC-SING and the Ministry of Energy in regulatory issues.
Advised Genera Austral, in the development, construction and commercial
structure for biomass and bio gas projects.
- Advised Inder SpA in the purchase of a pipeline of hydroelectric project equivalent
to 20 MW and development thereafter.
- Advised Bio Energía Molina in the development of a biogas plant using vine waste
which included a PPA and thermal Energy sale agreement which allowed a major
vineyard in Chile to become the first one in the world to turn all its waste into energy.
- Advised Fondo de Inversión Los Andes and Hidroeléctrica Mediterráneo in the
early stages of development and the sale of a hydroelectric plant
in Río Manso, Tenth Region, with a capacity of approximately 200-300 MW.
- Advised Hidroeléctrica Laja in the development and sale of a run of the river
hydroelectric power plant with a capacity of 30-40 MW. Our firm also advised Econergy in a joint venture agreement with A. Matthei to develop this project.
- Advised Solar Chile in the development of non-conventional renewable energy
projects in Chile and in the sale of electric energy, a project in which First Solar and
Fundación Chile are also involved.
- Advised Fondo de Inversión Baquedano in the early stages development of Central
Cholguán, a 20 MW run of the river hydroelectric power project.
- Advised IM Trust Energías Renovables Fondo de Inversión Privado in the negotiation
of a joint venture agreement between IM Trust and Hunt for the acquisition of Central Cholguán and future renewable energy project development.
- Advised Solventus Chile SpA to develop non-conventional renewable energy
- Advised Fundación Chile in connection with the legal feasibility of a project
consistent in the acquisition of water rights in central Chile, the construction of
a water pipeline to the north and the commercialization of the water mainly for
- Advised Aaktei in the development of several mini-hydropower projects: our firm
is advising in the negotiation of water rights, rights of way, EPCs agreements, PPAs,
financing agreements and other related agreements.
- Advised Global Energy in the acquisition of a biomass project in the south of
Chile that will generate 30 MW using straw as fuel.
- Advised Newen, involved in the Newen Project, drafting a conceptual design
agreement for the construction, development and operation of the first strawfired
power plant in Chile.
Nicolás Atkinson has been Professor of Law at the Facultad de Economía y Negocios of Universidad de Chile and panelist, among others, of the Chilean International Renewable Energy Congress.
- Global Legal Insights, Energy Chapter 2014, 2015.
- Various publications and columns in newspapers and magazines.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Diploma in Economic Administrative Law, 2009.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2004, Cum laude.
- Colegio de Abogados de Chile, AG.
- Partner Nicolás Atkinson has been distinguished by important international publications as a leading lawyer in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources (Chambers Latin America, Chambers Global, Latin Lawyer, IFLR Energy and Infraestructure, Legal 500).
- Recommended Lawyer by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA).
Spanish and English.