Litigation, Arbitration, Insurance, Bankruptcy/restructuring. In addition, he acts as arbitrator in different conflicts.
A lawyer from Universidad Católica de Chile, Mr. Román is Director of the Litigation and Arbitration Department of Aninat Schwencke & Cía. and has extensive experience in civil, commercial and labor litigation, as well as in arbitration and free competition, both with national and international clients. Together with his team, he is currently representing Fitch Ratings in the La Polar case and the associated civil processes; the WPP group (Prolam Young & Rubicam, Ogilvy, Hill + Knowlton, JWT, Wunderman Chile) for the violation of non-competition agreements; a group of investors of Salmones Sur Austral S.A. (SSA), and directors of several commercial salmon companies, in lawsuits filed against them by Marine Harvest, and Bisquertt vineyards, in the negotiation for the ownership of the vineyard, among other cases. He has also participated in the representation of Citibank N.A., NY Branch, in the insolvency process of Distribuidora Rabié S.A. and from Siemens S.A. in an international arbitration carried out before the Paris International Chamber of Commerce.
- Representation of Fitch Ratings Chile in the La Polar case and related civil lawsuits.
- Representation of Codelco in CAM arbitration caused by an alleged breach of agreement and torts filed by Fe Grande Maquinarias y Servicios.
- Representation of Ideal (Bimbo Group) in a torts lawsuit against Canal 13, a TV
network, derived from part of the content of the “Contacto” program.
- Representation of Codelco and Enap in lawsuit against CGE, requesting payment
reimbursements resulting from the indemnifications that it paid as a consequence
of the 2010 “blackout”.
- Representation of Telefónica in torts lawsuit originating from holdings of the Antitrust Court.
- Representation of Telefónica in an unfair competition lawsuit againt WOM.
- Representation of Asociación Chilena de Seguridad in litigation for unfair contract
termination and torts.
- Representation before arbitrators and ordinary of courts of the WPP Group (Prolam
Young & Rubicam, Ogilvy, Hill & Knowlton, JWT, Wunderman Chile) for breach of
non compete agreements.
- Representation of Garibaldi S.A. in contentious-administrative issues.
- Representation of Viñas Bisquertt Limitada in several civil liability lawsuits.
- Representation of diverse clients of various industries, in both contentious and noncontentious procedures before the Antitrust Court.
- Counsel and representation of TIVIT – Synapsis in contentious-administrative issues,
regarding the performance of agreements signed with public services.
- Counsel and representation of Citroën Chile in consumer protection issues.
- Counsel and representation of Parque del Sendero (cemetery chain) in consumer
- Counsel and representation of the municipalities of Zapallar and Puchuncaví
(among others) and a group of landowners in a lawsuit against Interchile, for the
construction of a 750 KMs. powerline that seeks to connect the Atacama Region with
the Metropolitan Region.
Mr. Román is a professor of Derecho Procesal in the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile School of Law.
Previously Mr. Román dictates the course “Due Process: Application in Civil Litigation, Arbitration and free competition” also in the Pontificia Universidad Católica School of Law.
- “Reputación, Ética y Ejercicio Profesional”, Revista Uno, edición número 22.
- “Situación de los bienes propios de la mujer casada en sociedad conyugal”, in the book Lex et veritas / Universidad Internacional SEK, Facultad de Ciencias Jurídicas. (Santiago de Chile). Vol.4 (2006-2007)”.
- “Eduardo Mujica/Universidad Católica de Chile-Corporación de Televisión”, in the book Revista Chilena de Derecho del Trabajo y la Seguridad Social, Nro. 2, volumen 1, Facultad de derecho de la Universidad de Chile, Departamento de Derecho del Trabajo y la Seguridad Social.
- Universidad de Los Andes Law School, Diploma in Labor Law, 2010.
- Universidad de Chile Law School, LL.M., 2009.
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile Law School, 1998.
- Chilean Bar Association.
- Chilean Institution of Procedural Law.
- Paulo Román has been distinguished by the prestigious publication Legal 500 as a leading lawyer in the field of Litigation.
- Recommended Lawyer by the Latin America Corporate Counsel Association.
Spanish and English.